"Aggression helps me be at the top of my game, wouldn't change it for anything in the world."


Perhaps the most followed cricketer of the current generation, Virat Kohli opened up on a lot of issues in an exclusive interview with CNN.

From his starting days in cricket to completing a Ranji Trophy match on the day his father died to playing alongside his idol Sachin Tendulkar to the stardom he now enjoys, Kohli spoke his heart out in a freewheeling chat.

Here are the top quotes from that interview:

On what cricket means to him...
"Importance that cricket holds in my life is above everything else."

On his aggressive trait...
"Aggression helps me be at the top of my game, wouldn't change it for anything in the world."

On playing Test cricket...
"Test cricket is a journey in itself, teaches you so much, helps you find yourself."

On talks in public about his personal life...
"Players should be judged for what they do on the field, not what they are like in person."

On sharing the international stage with Sachin Tendulkar...
"From idolising Sachin to playing with him for the Indian team, it has all been very unreal."

On coming out to resume his Ranji Trophy innings the morning his father died...
"For me, not completing a cricket game was equivalent to committing a sin."

On the menace of fixing...
"If someone chooses to do wrong, it doesn't matter how much you control them."

On what will be his biggest achievement as a cricketer...
"If children one day say they want to play the sport and be like me, it would make me proud."

On breaking records...
"I don't challenge myself to break records, I challenge myself to get better at what I do everyday. Records don't drive me, just want to be the guy who helps my team win matches - that's all that matters."

On life off the pitch...
"Thinking of going out of the house to do anything, even eat a meal, is a mission in itself."

On the popularity of cricket in India...
"Every sport should be given equal importance at the school level."

Source: News18